Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Update and Music Inspiration

Good afternoon. 
As soon as I set up an actual blogging schedule I will be able to call this a weekly update, but as my last weekly update was two weeks ago, I don't think I'm allowed to use that word, so it's just an update. 
I went home this weekend to visit my family and friends, and while I was there I was able to relax, take a break from school and the world for a little while, and celebrate the first half of my birthday week (I turn nineteen tomorrow, if you didn't already know). While relaxing outside Sunday afternoon, about an hour before I drove back to Rock Hill, I spent some time admiring the flowers and I was reminded of my old flower card project that I did before I finished Nocturne of the Sea. As I became obsessed with the language of flowers a year ago, I decided to make portraits of a few of my characters (7 or 8, I believe) alongside a flower that had a meaning relevant to that character. Well, as summer is coming up and I would like something writing-related to take up my time, I've decided to do flower cards again, re-doing the ones I did a year ago as I did not use the same source for all the flower meanings (and my art has improved). I also plan to expand the number I do to include characters introduced in the other books in the series, as well as minor characters I've never drawn before like Captain Rush and King Faro. 
I drew the first card in the series yesterday and posted on Facebook, which you can view here. When I have a few done, I'll make an album on my Facebook page to make them easier to see. It's been fun so far and I remember loving how my old ones turned out. This time I'm using one source-- the Victorian Flower Dictionary-- to make sure my flower meanings stay consistent. 
Another update on Apples of Red Mountain: I'm still writing and developing the story and characters, but finals are quickly approaching and I likely won't make much progress until summer arrives. I'm still keeping the story in mind, however, and I'm hoping I can use it as my CampNaNo project in July. 

I thought I would share another source of inspiration I use that helps me write and gives me ideas for my story. Music really helps me get into the right mood I need to be in for the story, and song lyrics can really remind me of my characters and their struggles; sometimes I need those reminders so that I can get back on track with their development in my novels. Whenever I dedicate myself to writing a book, making a playlist is one of the first steps I take. I always make a Spotify playlist the week before NaNo/CampNaNo so that I have something to fuel me when I'm pushing out those 1666 words every day. If I'm writing a Solstice Song novel, I need music that reminds me of an epic adventure-- music that makes me want to climb a mountain or learn sword-fighting. That means a lot of Florence + the machine, Mumford & Sons, Band of Horses, and Bear's Den. If I'm writing for The Songbook, I'm going to want some classics-- The Smiths, Fleetwood Mac, maybe the occasional Beatles song-- mixed with music that reminds me of living in a grimy city, such as Bright Eyes and City and Colour and Two Door Cinema Club. 
If you listen to music while you write or brainstorm, play one of the recommended mixes on Spotify and when you hear a song that reminds you of a story, create a new playlist and add that song to it. Eventually you'll remember other songs you heard that have a similar sound and your playlist will grow into a true book soundtrack. 
If you want want to check out my Spotify, my user number is 1279318996. Some of what I listen to may be a little bit embarrassing, but if it helps other writers, I'm willing to make that sacrifice. 

Bye for now,
Cameron Davis 

No comments:

Post a Comment